A Brief History
The forerunner of the present Church was known as 'The Little Tin Church'. This building was situated a short distance from the present building and was made from corrugated iron, although it did have brick foundations. It also had a wooden bell tower and there was seating for approximately 70 worshippers.
The Church was dedicated in April, 1908 in honour of St Oswald of Worcester, a former Bishop of Worcester and Archbishop of York.
In 1938, £200 was given from the benefice income of St Mary's Kidderminster and this enabled the Church to have its first resident Priest. In addition, the foundations were laid for the first dual-purpose religious building in Kidderminster. The new building was opened in 1940 with the intention that it would become the new St Oswald's Church. Instead, however, it became the local Church Hall and so 'The Little Tin Church' was not replaced, with services continuing there. If there was to be a special service (e.g. a Baptism) and a large congregation was expected, the Hall was used instead. This resulted in a great deal of work in moving the altar before and after each service.
In 1951, our village of Broadwaters and the surrounding area was made into a new Parish of St Oswald.
Later in the 1950's both buildings became inadequate for the burgeoning population of the Parish and the 'Little Church' had to be abandoned for the Church Hall, which, itself, was in constant use.
In the early 1960's it was proposed for the second time to build on to the Church Hall, but again the cost was found to be too high and so fund raising began to build a new Church and the present site was dedicated in 1962.
On a Sunday in May 1964, Evensong was held outdoors on the new site, which had been a mill pool and even though it was filled in, it was thought by some people to be unsuitable for building on - and so it turned out. A design had been drawn up which professional opinion thought would overcome the problems of the ground and the new building was consecrated in December, 1964.
It was a very spacious building compared with 'The Little Tin Church' - but problems were developing underneath. The foundations began to sink and cracks appeared in the walls. As a consequence, in January 1981, the Church had to be demolished on the grounds that it was structurally unsafe. As a consequence, the congregation had to start using the Church Hall for services an that is still the case to this day.
In 2004 talks began with our friends from Broadwaters Methodist Church, aimed at forming a Local Ecumenical Partnership. This L.E.P. was signed in early 2007.
In 2008, we celebrated our Centenary and there are further details of this celebration elsewhere on this site.
St Oswald of Worcester
St. Oswald was born to Danish parents of noble origin. St. Odo the Good, Archbishop of Canterbury, was his uncle and he was also related to Osketel, his predecessor as the Arcbishop of York.
At the command of Archbishop Odo, Oswald went to Winchester, where he was less than happy with the way that the canons were living their lives. Thereafter he transferred himself to the Benedictine Monastery of Fleury, where he took the vows and was ordained.
958 Odo died and Oswald returned to England, where he was warmly received by Osketel
who had recently become Archbishop of York. Oswald set out
with Osketel for Rome; but did not travel beyond Fleury, where he remained
until Osketel summoned him to return to England to assist in the re-introduction of
the Benedictine rule and the suppression of the secular canons. He worked
enthusiastically with Dunstan to this effect and was appointed Bishop of Worcester in AD 961. Ten years later, he became
Archbishop of York; but retained the See of Worcester until his death.
Oswald died on February 29, 992 in the act of washing the feet of the poor, as was his daily custom during Lent, and was buried in the Church of St. Mary in Worcester. He both valued and promoted learning amongst the clergy and induced many scholars to come from Fleury.
His Feast Day is 28 February.